Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Anticipation ...

Carly Simon created a great song with so many possible thematic uses when she wrote "Anticipation" back in the '70s. And that's pretty much my theme for this week. While I am carrying on with my work and various projects, the mind is more or less turned towards this coming Sunday afternoon. A group of actors whose work I have enjoyed in the past have agreed to read the script of "All About Faith" out loud for me. I'm chomping at the proverbial bit with anticipation.

Back when I wrote the first play, in the summer of 2006, Kathy and I were eventually able to gather a group in a similar fashion (finding a hole in the schedules of active actors isn't the easiest thing in the world). Those folks were extremely helpful to me -- I can read lines out loud, and give them MY interpretation, but some of the problems of having someone ELSE interpret those same lines can be evened out and sanded off with this kind of private reading.

And that's just what I look forward to happening on Sunday, along with the chance to chat, dine and talk theater with other folks in a casual setting.

Then, I have about a week to sand and touch up the script before sending it north with Andy to see if a theater company in Washington, D.C. might be interested in producing the play, presumably as a world premiere. That would be an exciting moment! (This previous sentence should be interpreted as a vast understatement.)

Meanwhile, the four-month wait will commence, until October 1, to see whether or not the Regional Arts Project Grant comes through to help finance a production of "Conversations in a Cafe." More excitement, should that happen!

And while I'm on the topic, work continues on play #3, still unnamed, but getting closer to a working title, anyway.

The Greensboro Monthly magazine article on Triad Stage and "Bloody Blackbeard" should be hitting the stands any day now as well. A pretty good concentration on the theatrical right at the moment for me. What fun!

No comments: