Monday, May 26, 2008

A few personal notes from Charleston

One of the highlights of our Charleston Spoleto visits -- this is our fifth year in a row, started by when our son, Andy, first started working here -- is, of course, getting to visit with Andy. That has not always been possible due to his work schedule, but this year, we sat down with him for a late lunch on Sunday afternoon and then chatted during intermission of the opera, "Amistad," in the space for which he is master electrician. That space is shared with the Chamber Music performances this year, as the historic Dock Street Theatre is down for renovations. Which makes Andy's life more interesting due to the changeovers from the opera setting to the Chamber Music set-up, which takes 2-3 hours each time it happens.

Anyway, it is always fun for us to get the inside story on some of the activities of the festival, and then go to see them first-hand. Such was the case last night, when we saw "Amistad." About which the most I can say fairly is that I believe I have now done my duty by seeing two operas, at least one of which was highly praised. Therefore, I feel I will no longer be hypocritical when I say, I do not like opera. I can say that fairly, based on direct experience, instead of just a general feeling that I would not enjoy it. I will save my $$$$ in the future.

We have also enjoyed, as often is the case, several fine meals in the various Charleston eateries, including Circa 1886 -- very stylish, and our second visit -- MUSE, and Poogan's Porch. Good choices all.

And the sleeping has been good, too. This is our second stay at the King's Courtyard Inn, right near the Market, and this time we literally walk off the courtyard where breakfast is served and into our room. How convenient is that?

No comments: