Saturday, March 26, 2011

Onward and sideways

I would have said onward and upwards, but things seem to be going along sideways at the moment, so ....

Anyway, as previewed in the last blog, we did go to the Broach Theatre for the first time ever, to see "Crimes of the Heart." After all, we've only been in the Triad since 1986. It seemed like time.

More recently, we caught the Sondheim musical "Assassins" at Theatre Alliance, which I found more entertaining overall. I had a quibble or two with the structuring of the play itself -- which builds nicely to a rousing choral number and suddenly shifts one character to a lead one and kind of brings the show to a screeching slowdown for a time before rebuilding itself to the finale. An odd show overall, as I'm sure many audiences would feel, but as one who enjoys looking at the dark side of the American psyche as well as the brighter side, I found it just fine. And several of our friends and acquaintances were in it and did well, too, so even better!

The writing continues to plug along - though I've not found a home for anything recently, so hence the "sideways" comment above. I did, however, finish up a draft of something to submit to the Evening of Short Plays (which is going to have a common set again, which is roughly the same as having a theme). And I am partway through another short play script -- an idea cropped up in my head while I was working on the EOSP submission, so I will write this out while it's fresh in my head. Then, perhaps, back to "Patent" to see if I can finish that one. Progress is good! (You can borrow that sentiment if you'd like.)

No comments: