Tuesday, September 13, 2011

High points, low points

The "nice" thing about the writing biz is that it's a bell-curve kind of existence, or maybe roller-coaster is better, since there's more horror and nausea involved with roller coasters. The last couple of months have not only included some repeat paying business and a new project that went well. But also, I e-published a detective novel in June and a general novel just recently (on Kindle and Nook), and got to see a short script produced in Virginia, which was a writer's and audience member (natural) high for me. I even got the script for Reunions fine-tuned and shipped off to a couple of contests.

Right on the heels of that, I found out that other short scripts were NOT accepted for two different short-play contests and, as a continuing theme, I have found no theater company (yet) interested in producing any of my long scripts. So -- up one day, down the next. Which to be honest I feel is certainly the way with a number of playwright hopefuls, or at least there's ample evidence to suggest that's true.

Which makes it no easier to stomach when it happens.

Nevertheless, I've learned also that writing stuff and doing NOTHING with it absolutely assures nothing will happen with it -- so one keeps on plugging away. Some days turn out well; the others remain depressing.

Perhaps I'm also going through theater-going withdrawal -- August seems to be a very slow month for theater productions, while September and October go nuts. Starting Thursday night, we have quite a bit of theater to take in, just to try to keep up. In short, things could be worse ... and I keep trying to remember to un-cross my fingers every now and then. Something will happen sometime. And I hope that's not just wishful thinking.

No comments: