Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A novel distraction

I mentioned in a recent post that we drove north to see my short script, At The Shrine, done in a 10-minute play fest in Purcellville, Va. On the return trip, my wife mentioned that one of her favorite pieces of writing by me was a novel I first created in (we figured) roughly 1983-1986. As I thought on it, I tended to agree.

So upon our return home, I sought out that novel, only to find that I had no digital version of the text -- but I did have a typewritten manuscript of 342 double-spaced pages.

This is all by way of saying I haven't written a word on any play project since that day, because I undertook to scan each of those 342 pages, convert them to a digital document (which took a learning curve, of course), then update, edit, fix and generally try to create a "clean" Word document that could be converted to my second eBook on Kindle and Nook.

To be polite, it took longer than originally anticipated.

However, I'm pleased that one of OUR favorite pieces of writing, a novel called Fictionography of a Mental Coward, is now e-published and back off my desk. Hopefully this means some kind of writing -- new writing -- looms somewhere in the future. It's about time.

No comments: