Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Looking at the audience for once

It has been a long time indeed since I have been on the part of the stage that looks out at the audience, but that will change briefly on Friday night. I volunteered to be one of the readers for a staged reading of the play "8" at Theatre Alliance in Winston-Salem. It transmuted into TWO readings, back to back, with a discussion after each one. It's a very timely subject, given that North Carolina is voting on Amendment One, seeking to deny rights to anyone other than a man and woman combo in legal marriage. Tsk. Unconstitutional, as the courts are slowly determining.

Anyway, I'm "playing" the lead defense attorney, who starts the play seemingly in control and ends it way short of a convincing argument. It's a fine cast and a worthy cause. I'm enjoying my short time on the stage and using my voice in pursuit of a good cause.

But that won't be the end of it -- Theatre Alliance has chosen to do a series of one or two night readings in its upcoming season (yay!). I've been cast in one in January -- and for the first time ever, Kathy and I will be on stage together in another in April, 2013. Truly looking forward to that!

No comments: