Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Trying something new-ish

And now, for a slightly different angle on "playing with plays": I'm going to be in one. Well, sort of. It's not really a play production, it's a one-night staged reading, so I'll have a script in front of me and be surrounded by a lot of talented people I really like. But still ....

Anyway, on Friday night, April 27, at Theatre Alliance over in Winston-Salem, a good-sized cast will be reading the play "8," which uses interviews and trial transcripts to illuminate the trial over California's Proposition 8. It's a good and timely subject, given North Carolina's May 8th voting situation over trying to make a definition of marriage part and parcel of the state's constitution. As for me, with a few historical exceptions (most of them overturned), constitutions are meant to protect peoples' rights, not deny them. So I'm a strong "no" vote person. Kathy has stepped into an ASM role on the KLT musical, which leaves me time to do other things - and this is one that I chose.

It's not that I've never been on stage before -- just not much. "Music Man" as a member of the quartet in high school. "Trial by Jury" as a member of the jury in college. And a bartender in a one-act after graduation. My problem is, and has always been, memorizing lines. I'm just no good at it. It's a shame that the woman in black in "The Woman in Black" is a woman. I'd be good at that role! NO lines!

At any rate, it's a reading. A lot of people I know or know of are part of the cast, too, so looking forward to spending a little time on-stage. I guess I took Carson Kreitzer's advice to heart - if you're going to write for theater, it's good to be part of theater in different fashions as much as possible, both behind and on the stage. I tend to agree.

Now I just have to make time to do some more of the writing part!

Anyway, on Saturday night, we saw George Bernard Shaw's "Man and Superman" at UNCG. It was a master's degree project for the lead female, who was excellent, and included our young friend Mike Shapiro as the one American in an otherwise British cast (and one Irish-American). As was the way in its time, it's not a short show. But very enjoyable!

No comments: