Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Early 2008 Short Plays, Greensboro

I was able to fit in a visit last Thursday night to the black-box stage of the City Arts Center in Greensboro, where twice a year, short plays written by members of the Greensboro Playwrights Forum are produced. This was my third visit, and there is always something interesting going on with one or more of the plays -- the number performed varies from presentation to presentation.

This set of shows had seven scripts by six authors, and a wide-ranging group of actors, some of whom I had seen before. Dick Strohmeier, a KLT regular, was in one of the shows (and did well, I might add), and Randy Morris, who has acted and directed with KLT in addition to others, authored one of the scripts, called "Copyright." In my subjective opinion, it was one of the 3 best in the show, though one must have to be a fan of "dark" drama to like it a lot (I am, but I also know that many theatergoers are not.) It was a two-person show, and particularly well acted by the female actor.

Compared to the past two I have attended, I didn't find quite as much to like in this one, though that was more script-related than acting-related. Though there was one script I might have liked better if one of the actors had projected better and been more articulate.

Nevertheless, esp. as I am trying my hand at some short scripts myself, it was an interesting 1.75 hours in the theater, and well worth the suggested donation of $5.

No comments: