Saturday, February 28, 2009

On the Play-Going Trail

'Tis the season for going to see more plays. OK, it's true, it's nearly always that season for us, but speed is picking up again, it seems.

Last night, we took in GTCC's production of "Under Milk Wood," Dylan Thomas' poetry-driven view of life in a small Welsh town. We enjoyed the myriad characters, sound effects and vision of the multiple characters making up the town. Kathy had performed in it back in high school days, and it also happened that Lori Koenig, who will direct KLT's "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown," starting in April, directed this performance. Good job, we thought!

And in the category of confessions to be made, as I always do when there are young people ages 18-30 in something, I sat there with my program making notes on the performances I like. Since the day I finished writing "Conversations in a Cafe," I have watched particularly for the part I figure might be the hardest to fill in the play -- a young woman 20-25 to play "Meredith." My file folder is filling up with programs that have notes on them such as "She could be Meredith!" or "He could be Brad or Josh!" I saw two potential Merediths and one potential Brad in this show. Distracting? Yes, a little bit, but I enjoy it.

Tonight we'll see "Dearly Beloved" at KLT, then we have tickets for "Ghosts" at Triad Stage, shows at Barter Theatre, and just found out yesterday that we'll manage a NYC trip in April and perhaps cram in five Bwy. shows while we're there. Wonderful!!!

No comments: