Friday, September 5, 2008

A matter of length

It's difficult, for me anyway, when I am drafting a play to have anything more than a general idea of how long the text will "play" on stage. So when I finished up my first draft of "The Good Life," I figured I was pretty much there. Not. What I determined after giving it an out-loud read-through -- usually my first step after the first draft -- is that it isn't as long as I want it to be.

So now, in addition to making all the fixes I determined in the process of hearing it out loud AND timing it, I'm better prepared to understand that it needs more new writing work to better explain the story and make it longer at the same time. Kathy, my intrepid first reader, also had some very useful thoughts on some additional concepts and extensions that she perceived.

End result: it's going to be a little while longer now before I'll be ready to show this to anyone else. But that's the way it is with writing some times. As I well know.

3 comments:

The O'Brien Family said...

Sorry to hear that it's not yet finished, but definitely looking forward to seeing it when it is!

The O'Brien Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill said...

I'm seriously hoping that the week with a lot of spare time in Washington, DC will allow me to make some forward strides. I have every intention of doing so, anyway! - Bill