Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pretty good week so far

I have to say that it has been a pretty productive play-related week since we arrived in Washington DC on Saturday afternoon. First, we were able to take in a dynamic production of "1984" at Catalyst Theater, at the Atlas Performing Arts Center (where Andy works his "day job" and also designed lights for this show). Last night (Wed.), we saw the first preview of a new play, "How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents" (which was a book first), and really enjoyed it, too -- and again, Andy was involved, as ALD to Beverly Emmons.

In the meantime, I have had time in fits and starts to wrap up the second draft of "The Good Life," and passed it along to a few of my trusted readers for thoughts and commentary. Then starting sometime (often, it's hard to track down and remember the precise time), the basic concept, at least, of a possible play #4 began to form in my head and by last night after the play, I could actually articulate it to Kathy. This is always an exciting moment for me, since my usual assumption is that I'll never have another play- or book- or story-worthy idea.

And then I do. Thank goodness.

Also along the way, first at "1984" and then at Tunnicliff's, a popular bar at Eastern Market that is esp. popular on Wednesday nights late for the area theater crowd, I had a chance to chat with the artistic director of the Source Festival -- and now have submitted my 10-minute play script to the Festival for possible consideration for 2009. In 2008, they got 700 submissions, so I know the odds are formidable. But as I've no doubt written here before, if you don't submit, you got nothin'. So off it went earlier this afternoon.

Progress! Gotta love it.

No comments: