Thursday, June 26, 2008

It's all over in 10 minutes

This weekend, Kathy and I will be taking in the three flights of 10-Minute Plays that kick off the annual Source Festival in Washington, D.C. Andy designed the lights for all of them (there are 8 mini-plays in each of the three flights). I've seen (once) the 10-minute plays put on by the Greensboro Playwrights' group, and they can be fun and entertaining and enlightening, too. We'll see how the D.C. group does. I understand from the web site for the Source Theatre that they chose these 24 from something like 900 submissions, so you know the competition had to be severe.

Just for the experience and a skills test, I tried my hand at writing a 10-minute play myself. I had always thought it might be tough but, fortunately, I had an idea. That always helps. So though it is not quite finished, I did a first draft and read-through in one day, and I kinda like it! I'll see if I can get it to run right at 10 minutes next.

On the trip, meanwhile, in mid-week, we'll see a show at Barter in Abingdon, VA, purely for the fun of it. The show is based on the true-life circumstances of David Selznick and two writers locking themselves in an office for a week to churn out a workable script for a little movie called "Gone With the Wind." Should be amusing!

2 comments:

The O'Brien Family said...

Is the Barter show "Moonlight and Magnolias"? We looked at that for a possible KLT show last year. I think it got voted down - so you may have to suggest it be revived depending on your thoughts after the performance.

Have a safe trip!

Bill said...

I'm pretty sure it's the same show, though for some reason, Barter uses a different name for it. Someone else- Hickory? - is doing "M&M" and the show description sounds identical. We'll see what we think and decide whether it's worth reviving it in the KLT considerations. It sounds as if it would fit as a Folly show -- it's on Stage 2 at Barter.

Hope you enjoy "HONK!" We did!