Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The musical aspects

One of the discussions Kathy and I had during our Ashe County retreat this past weekend related to the kind of music used in support of a stage play that is not a musical. With a few exceptions, I have always been a firm believer that the right music, used in a proper fashion, can further and support the theme or "story" of a play quite handily. Our discussion focused primarily, though, on the plays I have or am in the process of writing.

What I have found interesting and challenging is that, with my first play (Conversations in a Cafe), by the time I was done writing it, I had pretty much a full set of "soundtrack" songs that I would use at the beginning, intermission and end of the show to help tell the story. With my third script partially completed (The Good Life), I already have three songs in my mind that I would certainly use to illustrate the theme if I were producing or directing the play.

And for my second play (All About Faith), at this very moment, I have: absolutely nothing.

Perhaps it is the deeply serious, and sad for me, thematic material. Perhaps it is that pop or rock 'n roll music doesn't really often address the kinds of issues "Faith" presents. Perhaps I just don't know the right songs.

But even though it is unlikely I will ever direct or produce a production of this show, I like to have the "whole package" in my mind, or at least pocket, before presenting it to others. After our discussion, and given that we'll have an opportunity for some exposure to it on July 5th in West Jefferson ("Christmas in July" event), I'm going to undertake a closer study of bluegrass music. If there is some appropriately moody or serious or mournful tunes -- and as Kathy suggested, even some bluegrass versions of traditional hymns such as "Amazing Grace" -- perhaps then I would have some ideas of the "Faith" soundtrack. Given the play's story setting in the east Tennessee mountains, it seems like the right direction to take. (The action of the play is actually in a women's prison in Nashville, but the story happens in the mountains.)

We'll see how that turns out!

2 comments:

The O'Brien Family said...

Sounds like a good way to head. Didn't April use a lot of music for Grace and Glorie? (because she mentioned we didn't use it at competition). I wonder if any of that would be appropriate. Seems like it was fairly soulful...

Bill said...

I will have to ask her about that. I simply don't remember, even though I ran lights for some of the shows at the Folly. Maybe she has some already in her collection! Thanks!